The Carnegie Institution for Science is a limestone Beaux-Arts National Register-listed landmark building. Originally designed by Carrere and Hastings of New York in 1907, the building also has an addition by Delano & Aldrich of New York in 1937. It stands at the corner of 16th and P Streets NW, DC.
The building is undergoing general renovations to achieve new work spaces with double staff capacity, all new accessible toilet facilities, new youth education spaces, corrections to code deficiencies, and new finishes throughout.
On April 30th Rippeteau Architects presented a tour for AIA DC Architecture Month. Highlights included details on how the team is recapturing the original space and style through selective removal of prior alterations; going behind the scenes in the ornate rotunda and ballroom; and making a teaching tool out of lost original architectural details found during the work.
The video above is of Darrel Rippeteau showing the group what he dubbed "Urban Architectural Archaeology", a cornice detail from the exterior architecture that was included as a feature inside the building. See before and after images below of a couple of the new office areas.
The previous IT Office was opened up to create a new egress solution for passage from the updated work spaces to the Rotunda as well as new open, and light-filled offices.
The existing windows are now part of all the bright new work spaces. Each office has it's own climate controls for increased comfort and energy efficiency.
Construction is still underway on the Ground Floor where there will be additional new office spaces, Youth Program spaces including a large classroom and lab as well as a new exit.